Thunderbird e-mail problem

GaryT taig at melbpc.org.au
Fri Aug 28 10:32:08 UTC 2009

Yesterday I wrote

Xandros Pilosa wrote:
> > So, if I undersand correctly, you made backup just of
> > ~/.mozilla-thunderbird/xxxold.default/Mail directory, not the entire
[BIG SNIP]
However, thanks for your comments Xandros Pilosa, I'm going to keep
these few new mail files separately, completely uninstall TB and start
again from scratch keeping lots of screen dumps to compare results.

Firstly I copied the entire home dir off to a mass storage device,
uninstalled T-Bird and studied both the old and new (temporary) files.

Found where the filenames were stored in prefs.js and changed those
so that T-Bird would see the old files. That worked okay, Then I
renamed and brought in the new (temporary) files and made new accounts
for each. T-Bird picked up the files.

Now I have two extra accounts and can see both lots of messages.

Only have to work out now how to find and use the old address book.
Thanks for the help
GT