error creating the child process for this terminal

sam R samcalc2 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 11:09:46 UTC 2009

The problem started when upgraded my OS from Ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04.

 1- When I launch Terminal window I get this message and can't type
anything.

“There was an error creating the child process for this terminal”

 2- when I try to update any package through *Update Manager *I get this
message

“Error failed to fork pty”

 Now, since Ubuntu doesn't allow you to sign-in as root from the start-up
GUI window, I'm having a problem modifying files to fix the* Terminal and
Update Manager errors.*

 Can someone help me please? Any suggestion?

 Thank you,

Sam