virtualbox wont show USB ports in the guest OS

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Thu Aug 27 09:00:08 UTC 2009

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Joep L. Blom wrote:
>> But for your information, no it isn't an USB hard drive but the
>> output of a weatherstation (known under various brand names
>> Honeywell, Irox, TFA, to name a few) and the software is Windows
>> only.
>> However, also a Cruzer USb-stick isn't seen in the Windows guest,
>> although it is seen greyed out in the device tab of the guest window.
>
> Just an idea: Could it be that you still have the usbfs entry in fstab
> from the older version of Virtualbox? If yes, maybe it interferes with
> the new way of handling USB. BTW: I don't see USB problems with
> Virtualbox here (Virtualbox 3.04 + Kubuntu 9.04).
>

> Nils

Nils,
Thanks for an ingenious thought but  my /etc/fstab as well my /etc/mtab
are unpopulated!
I don't understand that as I have a hardisk, a CD-writer and an
USB-stick all as storage devices attached.
The mysteries of Ubuntu 9.04!
On my hardy system (I switch between the 2 systems, using a KVM-switch)
fstab as well as mtab are fully populated with my storage devices.
Joep