RUN FSCK MANUALLY

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Thu Aug 27 00:33:33 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 04:44 +0300, PANAYIOTIS TIMVEOS wrote:
[snip]
> It says:
> 'unclean shutdown checking drivers
> /dev sda 1
> it then shows the count down:
> Stage1/5  ???/574
> It stops at:
> 44% Stage 1/5     363/574  - Fail
> and says
> Automatic file system check (fsck) of the roof file system failed
> A manual fsck must be performed then the systyem restarted
> Fcsk died with exit status 4
> Run fsck manually

At this point, i believe the startup process dumps you off at a command
prompt. If that is the case, simply type 'fsck /dev/sda1' I believe...
it will then scan, and prompt you whenever it finds an error. just
follow the directions and finish it out, then reboot and you should be
ok (note: the 'fix' option while running fsck is the default i think,
and that is usually the safest option to pick). When you're done, type
in 'reboot', and try booting again.

If it doesn't dump you off at a prompt, then reboot and when you get to
Grub, choose the (Recovery mode) boot option, boot up(skipping the disk
check if you must), and when the blue menu comes up, choose "drop to a
root prompt" or similar, and repeat the above paragraph's steps. that
should be it...you should boot successfully.

If that doesn't work, let us know what happens, and we can go from
there :)

--
Andrew