Auto-VirtualBox!

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 26 19:54:50 UTC 2009

On 08/25/2009 04:32 PM, David McNally wrote:
> Hi again!
>
> VBoxManage startvm "Windows XP" worked perfectly! Thank you!
>
> It took a little while to find out where to actually run that, and the first
> time I tried it I forgot the quotes around "Windows XP", but I was able to
> successfully boot up Ubuntu and put the username and password in the Ubuntu
> login screen and do nothing until XP loaded up perfectly.
>
> On the other hand, there was one problem. I have the VirtualBox Guest
> Additions installed, and I'm having it boot up in fullscreen. However, when
> I get to the login screen, it is not in fullscreen. Instead, it is centered
> in the screen and it's about 800 by 600, and the rest of the screen is just
> black. I can fix this by pressing Host + F twice, but this seems like I'm
> just making a stupid mistake. It's really not a big problem, but I feel like
> there's probably a very easy fix.
>
> If anyone knows, please let me know.

VBoxSDL --startvm "<vmname>" --fullscreen

Be sure to include the quotes (") in the command.

Right Ctrl-F to switch back to non-fullscreen if you need to go back to
the Ubuntu session window & Ctrl-F to go back to fullscreen.

You can also set up as a gdm login option, see:
<http://www.quicktweaks.com/2008/10/14/run-your-virtual-os-directly-from-gdm-in-ubuntu/>

Change these instructions:
#!/bin/bash
VirtualBox -startvm NameOfYourVirtualOS

#!/bin/bash
VBoxSDL --startvm "<vmname>" --fullscreen

But I'd just recommend you have him boot into Ubuntu normally and just
create a desktop application icon that he can double-click to start his
WindowsXP VM.