Internet access : connecting to broadband using log-in and password ??

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Aug 26 16:05:58 UTC 2009

Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> Well I have not done any testing under Ubuntu, other than powering up
> and seeing that it fails to connect (network manager applet says so,
> and indeed asking it to try connecting, fails). Hence why I am asking
> here HOW to connect ;-) I am going to visit my dad later this week,
> and I was hoping I would have got the procedure from this list, so I
> know what to do when I get to see his machine...

Maybe you could call your dad and ask him to tell you the exact name of
the modem/router. Your assumption that it is "Alcatel Speedtouch" points
to ADSL and not cable devices. If that is correct you could probably use
the networkmanager setup for DSL or use pppoeconf. But if it is
something else, maybe someone has an idea if you can tell us the name of
the device. And from what I read, it looks like many cable modems work
with proprietary Windows only drivers :(

Nils