virtualbox wont show USB ports in the guest OS

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Wed Aug 26 12:56:32 UTC 2009

I hesitate a little to ask this question as it is I think one of the
most frequent problems with virtualbox. But the suggestions obtained
from the vbox list didn't work.
The problem is that the way Ubuntu(9.04) handles USB-ports is mysterious
to me and moreover, virtualbox apparently changed the handling of USB
ports between version 2.2 (which works in Hardy on one system) and
version 3.04.
I have the distinct feeling that the problem is in the permissions as I
but I can't find out which are not set. I even tried to set the
/proc/bus/usb directory chain to 777 (which is definitively NOT a good
idea) but it didn't work.
Virtualbox starts up normally and the Devices tab shows the USB-ports
but they are greyed out. In the vbox manager the USB ports are set. Also
the local user - who starts virtualbox - is subscribed to the group
vboxusers as recommended in the manual.
The manual also says that in 'modern hosts' (I have a brand new AMD
Phantom  II system) that's all that's necessary to have the USB ports
seen in the guest OS (in this case W XP).
I don't want to start virtual box from a root account.
Of course I can try VMWare but that's a hog and moreover not Opensource
(I know the Sun version is also not but...).
At the moment I am out of ideas and maybe somebody of the guru's in this
forum can shed some light on my problem.
Sorry for the long mail,
Joep