Update screen not clickable & Pidgin turning off

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Wed Aug 26 09:20:19 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 08:05 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
> Ive only been on 9.04 for two weeks now and I have seen some odd things.
> When the update screen pops up, more than half of the time when I click
> on the update button, nothing happens. I have to click on cancel and let
> it come up again.

Cant say about this, as I prefer the old iconified method of
notification of updates, rather than having my system unexpectedly throw
a dialog window in my face. That said though, the dialog window that
appears post-icon doesn't do this.

> And I have also noticed that pidgin just randomly turns off. On six
> different mornings I have woke to find it is no longer on my screen. I
> was typing yesterday, I shifted my eyes to see the incoming email and
> then I noticed the pop of the message screen in the top right hand
> corner saying a message had been responded to -- but I couldn't find my
> IM to type on.

I've found that pidgin has crashed on me overnight in the past, but it
doesn't seem to happen any more, now that I started using the Pidgin PPA
on launchpad. In fact, just updated to Pidgin 2.6.1 and am excited to
find a reason to use the new voice/video support :)

I have, however, noticed an increased frequency of Firefox crashes.
Don't know why, but lately Firefox seems to crash on a whim. Running
FF3.0.13

> Im not asking for help with these - more just seeing of others have
> experienced this on this version on their machines. Ive noticed these
> same two things on both my laptops now too - but I thought it was
> possibly - at least the pidgin thing - do to hibernation.

All the above is on my desktop... curiously, neither of my lappys have
any of these issues. One is running 8.04LTS, and the other has 9.04.

--
Andrew