THIS SUCKS! 3G problems

art artmartz at triad.rr.com
Tue Aug 25 05:09:07 UTC 2009

Doug Saylor wrote:
> WTF!? I'm finally getting frustrated with Linux.
>
> absdoug at AcerAspireOne:~$ lsusb
> Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05c6:9211 Qualcomm, Inc.
I can help with this. The key here is the 9211. The Qualcomm modem does
not retain it's firmware when it looses power. Try booting in the XP
that came with the netbook (assuming you are set up as dual boot), and
then reboot to Ubuntu without turning off the power.  On mine, the
Qualcomm then IDs as Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05c6:9212 Qualcomm, Inc. The
key here is the 9212, which means it's got the firmware loaded. If I
boot direct to Ubuntu, it IDs as 9211, the same as you quoted. Usually,
  linux software to load the firmware, but it requires the next version
of Ubuntu, and I don't care to run beta software, I'll wait for 9.10.
Put the following command into System>Preferences>Startup Applications:
sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x05c6 product=0x9212
(it can be run manually also, to test it). This will create a tty, which
can be displayed with ls -lha /dev/ttyU* which should display
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 2009-07-23 11:29 /dev/ttyUSB0
At this point, I use modemmanager together with networkmanager to
present a mobile broadband option I use to connect with.
Art