This utility only unmounts cifs filesystems.

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Mon Aug 24 16:41:15 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 11:09:31AM -0400, Philippe Faure wrote:
> I have just installed version 9.04.  I try mounting remote windows folders:
>  smbmount //phil2/edrive /temp -o credentials=$credentials ro
>
> This works,
>
> Now when I try to un-mount
> umount -fl /temp
>
> I get error message:
> umount /temp
> This utility only unmounts cifs filesystems.
> This utility only unmounts cifs filesystems.

Interesting error.  While the share is mounted, what do you see about it
in /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts?

> This is all done as root.  The properly un-mount the share is to reboot the system.
>
> Have others seen this issue?

No.  I normally used

  mount -t cifs //server/share /dir -o ...

to mount Windows shares, and umount /dir tended to work fine.

These days I'm too lazy and I use the GUI to browse things with Nautilus
without mounting them system-wide.

> Is there a solution?

There ought to be.

Marius Gedminas
--
A computer without Windows 9x is like a fish without a bicycle.
                -- With apologies to Gloria Steinem