dual-boot writing to NTFS from Linux?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 24 04:14:08 UTC 2009

On 08/22/2009 05:52 PM, Goh Lip wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> Don't have Vista, but do have WinXPPro & mount my second drive in
>> /etc/fstab. Here is the entry:
>>
>> UUID=<UUID> /media/windows ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
>>
>> I am able to read and write to the windows drive with no problems at
>> all. You might try ntfs-3g instead of ntfs; see 'man ntfs-3g' & see the
>> 'EXAPMLES' section.
>>

> Wouldn't it be safer to use /mnt/windows instead of /media/windows?
> (do a mkdir /mnt/windows first)
>
> I had messed up a good ext3 partition using /media/ext3 instead of
> /mnt/ext3.

We are talking about mounting a second ntfs-3g drive, not an ext3
partition. I suppose /mnt/windows is proper (according to 'man ntfs-3g'
& <http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#MEDIAMOUNTPOINT>, but
the default Ubuntu installation sets it up for /media & if you use
/mnt/windows the drive will not automatically show on the desktop or in
nautilus. Also see:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountingWindowsPartitions/ThirdPartyNTFS3G>
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountingWindowsPartitions>

I've not had issues will all of my dualboot systems (6) using
/media/<windowsdrivename> going back to Edgy.