Jaunty: computer does not hibernate/suspend after critically low batter

Xandros Pilosa folivora.pilosa at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 21:28:39 UTC 2009

tish pravi:
> Hello,
> I am experiencing the following issues. The computer does
> hibernate/suspend as the battery reaches critical level, instead it just
> shutdowns uncleanly. I have tried all possible options in gnome power
> management-shutdown,hibernate,suspend etc .
>
> I understand the difference b/n hibernate and suspend and my swap file
> is just fine. Hibernation, suspend and other power related options work
> when being called. I am running jaunty on Dell XPS m1530. It is a clean
> installation of Jaunty with all the released updates till now.
> I appreciate your help.
>
> Tish

Hello,
relevant bug report (long tailed) is
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/135548

Please, do add your comment.

Anyway, I managed to solve this problem some time ago by this procedure:

       * let the gnome-power-manager create profile of you battery by
         allowing fully charged battery to discharge at least 3 times in
         the same session. That means, you first charge your battery
         until it is full, then unplug the AC cord and let it discharge
         until your battery indicator shows red colour and let's say 5%
         of remaining power.(Since at this point you cannot trust
         gnome-power-manager applet, you can check the battery status
         with "acpi -b" command.) Then plug the AC cord back in and fully
         charge again. As mentioned, repeat this at least 3 times and
         keep the session open all the time (do not turn off your
         machine, nor suspend / hibernate or log out).
       * In addition to that, I increased registry threshold values with
         gconf-editor (Programs -> System tools ->) in following
         keys: /apps/gnome-power-manager/thresholds/time_action --> 300
         and /apps/gnome-power-manager/thresholds/time_critical --> 600
         (values are in seconds)

Regards