Debian: contempt for "end user" values has to stop!"

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Sat Aug 22 22:34:13 UTC 2009

marc wrote:

> The church quote (was that really posted outside a church!) "If
> evolution were real, mothers would come with three arms", shows a total,
> and possibly wilful, ignorance of evolution 101;

Of course - it was the church that invoked Lamarckism, not me.

> albeit while trying to
> be funny -- at least I hope it's an attempt at humour.

Why on earth would you think that?  They absolutely believe it - and this is
in Canada, where it's a whole lot less common than in the US.

> Nature/evolution doesn't "get it right" -- whatever "right" might be  --
> that's the whole point.

As it was mine.  If evolution worked the way this church thinks - if
Lamarckism (though probably not actually Lamarck) was right - the female of
the species _would_ have developed a third arm, due to "need".  Darwinian
evolution, otoh, is a completely hit & miss proposition.  _if_ mutation had
produced a working third arm (a rather large if) for women, it may well have
survived, but natural selection never "deselects" things that are "good
enough", and two arms are good enough.
--
derek