dual-boot writing to NTFS from Linux?

Charlie Zender zender at uci.edu
Sat Aug 22 21:12:51 UTC 2009

Hi All,

I have a dual-boot Linux/Windows Vista machine.
Sometimes I need to copy from the Linux (ext3) to the NTFS/Windows
partition (ntfs). I mount the NTFS partition in Linux with

mount -t ntfs /dev/sda3 /wnd

then I can see and copy files from Linux->Windows.
The files show up (e.g., with ls -l) in the windows partition when
viewed from linux until I reboot.
When I exit Linux and start Vista, the files I thought I copied are
gone (and probably never written).

Is there a safe way to write from ext3 to ntfs?

Thanks,
Charlie
--
Charlie Zender, Department of Earth System Science
University of California, Irvine (949) 891-2429 :)