all photo programs crash when clicking on import

Siggy Brentrup ubuntu at psycho.i21k.de
Fri Aug 21 21:33:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 11:46 -0700, John F McEnroe wrote:

> Using Ubuntu 9.04 attempting to import photos causes digiKam, f-spot,
> gthumb and GtKam to crash or fail to open.

Do they crash silently?

> Because if the universal nature of the crashing, I am assuming the
> problem may lie with libgphoto2 and gphoto. Initially I had problems,
> but I made it worse by attempting to install a version not in the Ubuntu
> repositories.

If you did it correctly, there's no problem in reverting these
changes.

> A week of cruising lists and attempting to solve the problem indicates
> that I do not know the correct questions to ask.

Please tell us from which DSC you want to import photos, which
error messages you see, There may be some crucial info in
the file ~/.xsession-errors &c.

> Is there a way of finding a solution to successfully importing
> photos in Ubuntu 9.04?

If you use a flash memory device in your DSC, you can insert it
in a corresponding slot on your computer.  I did this years ago
when my DSC was still unsupported.

HTH
  Siggy
========> ceterum censeo javascriptum esse restrictam <========