setenv and export

Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Fri Aug 21 02:11:03 UTC 2009

I am trying to setup java to do serial port stuff, and I do not know
java, I just want to run a stupid program. So I have to install Sun Java
Communications API for Linux.

One of the steps is:

2. If you are using JDK (not JRE) Add comm.jar to your classpath.

 Example: If you don't have a CLASSPATH set currently,

     % setenv CLASSPATH `pwd`/comm.jar

or,  if you have something in your CLASSPATH already,

    % setenv CLASSPATH `pwd`/comm.jar:$CLASSPATH

--------------

And setenv does not work. Because it is not a bash command which is the
default for most of the Linux operating systems. It is a c shell
command.

Fortunately I was able to search and find that export is the equivalent
command.

echo $CLASSPATH

Showed I did not have anything in the class path.

export CLASSPATH=/home/kip/APRS/bin

But it is not persistent across booting. Do I have to initialize it each
time I want to run my program (which is from boot-up to shutdown).

How is the best way to do this?

What is 'pwd' in the example, and why is it there? (Does it make it
persistent?)

Kip
--

Kipton Moravec AE5IB .- . ..... .. -...