My Contribution to Linux

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Wed Aug 19 20:51:35 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 03:26 -0500, Christopher Lemire wrote:
> I've created this blog for both the beginner and the advanced users.
> Vote on what you'd like to see to let your opinion be known. There's
> only one day left for voting. The Blog link is in my signature.
> Thanks.
[snip]
> http://linuxinnovations.blogspot.com/
[snip]

My recommendations:
     1. Change the wallpaper. As much as I sympathize with squashing
        windows like an oddly-colored moth, if you wish to appeal to
        beginners ( and a much more broad audience at large ) who don't
        necessarily hate windows, then the wallpaper should go.
              * Try using a crystalTux variant or something... perhaps
                paired with some terminal output (my vision says
                crystaltux fixed on the bottom right, w/ terminal output
                in top left).
     2. Use a backing color behind your main text body (i.e. the blog
        posts) to make them more readable.
              * My thought... either go with a darker font, and use a
                mostly opaque (maybe ~90-95%) white back for it (to let
                some if the background bleed through), or
              * keep your current text and apply a black
                background(~70-85% opaque?) to the blog stuff. That way
                you keep your pretty background see-able on the whole
                page, and still enhance readability.
              * If you want a better idea of what i'm talking about, or
                you'd like me to drum up a demo of some kind...lemme
                know, and i'd be happy to do some artwork/CSS :)

Other than that...awesome. I've added it to my bookmarks!

--
Andrew