What a difference a GB makes!

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Mon Aug 17 15:55:05 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 02:12:40PM -0600, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>     I ran my top and found this old computer has 477108k ram. I decided
> it might be 4GB but it didn't seem the computer worked like there was
> that much RAM.

;)

I tend to use 'free -m' to see the amount of RAM in megabytes, since
counting digits gets boring pretty quickly.

>     There was a 1 GB DDR strip I took out of the computer I ruined and
> discovered it would plug into my computer. I did so with great care and
> now top says I have
> 1511964k RAM which now looks like 1.5 GB. The old puter is a lot
> spunckier now. I will turn on some optical effects just for fun :-)

A gig of RAM is very noticeable.

Although, depending on what you do, even two gigs may turn out to be
insufficient.

Marius Gedminas
--
Only great masters of style can succeed in being obtuse.
                -- Oscar Wilde

Most UNIX programmers are great masters of style.
                -- The Unnamed Usenetter