VirtualBox-3.0.4-50677-Win.exe

Ted Hilts thilts at mcsnet.ca
Thu Aug 13 20:55:53 UTC 2009

Roy Smith wrote:
> Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> Ted Hilts wrote:
>>

>>> Everything went well until I got Ubuntu installed in VirtualBox and
>>> concluded the installation after which I booted Ubuntu and got the
>>> following message:
>>>
>>> Starting up...
>>> PANIC: CPU too old for this Kernel
>>>
>>> It took me a while to figure out what had happenned.
>>> The XP machine CPU is:
>>> Dell Computer Corp
>>> OpticPlex GX260
>>> Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU
>>> 2.391 MHx
>>> 2.00 GB RAM
>>>

>> See: http://www.sun.com/software/products/virtualbox/faqs.jsp
>>
>> What is the speed supposed to be, above?  The FAQ says 1.5GHz.  I would have
>> thought that even the oldest GX260 was running at far more than 2.391MHz
>> (that seems more like the speed of my second PC-clone, back around 1990).
>> So if it's really 2.391 GHz, it should be enough.
>>

> That has to be a typo because the slowest P4 chip was 1.3 GHz...  so
> it's my guess that he's got a 2.4 GHz cpu.

I've got onto the SUN VB (virtual box) forum and it appears at this
point in the discussion that there may be a discrepancy between the
Pentium 4  and  the  2.6 Ubuntu micro code in that  an option associated
with VB called PAE (Physical Address Extension)  needs to be set and the
default appears not to do that.  One of the SUN VB FAQs presents a
somewhat similar situation and a special work around was done to get it
working.

If you are interested then I invite you to the forum but you need to
register and logon.  Once you do that you will find my subject.  It
looks like it is too difficult to copy specific forum dialog over to you
but I'll give it a try if you want.

Thanks for your input so far -- Ted Hilts.