Compose key in Ubuntu 8.10 vs. Ubuntu 9.04

Ulf Rompe ulf.buntu at rompe.org
Thu Aug 13 06:25:44 UTC 2009

Am Mittwoch, den 12.08.2009, 20:45 +0200 schrieb Johnny Rosenberg:
> I have four machines: One with Ubuntu 8.10 and the other three with
> Ubuntu 9.04. Here are some examples of the Compose key output at the
> Ubuntu 9.04 vs. Ubuntu 8.10:
> Combination: 9.04 - 8.10
> Compose c o: © - ǒ
> Compose o c: © - ©
> Compose . .: ˙ - …
>
> Well, I guess there are more differences, but these will do.
> Can anyone give me some suggestions WHY this happens?

I think the change has been made upstream. In fact, the behaviour
depends on your current locale. Try this:

fgrep "<Multi_key> <c> <o>" /usr/share/X11/locale/*/Compose

You will see that there are still locales where "Compose c o" maps to
"ǒ", in detail en_US.UTF-8 and fi_FI.UTF-8. In all other locales it is
mapped to "©".

> This makes the Compose key somewhat more useless in Ubuntu 9.04 than
> in Ubuntu 8.10, I think, if this is a Ubuntu 8.10 vs. Ubuntu 9.04
> issue, that is.

Don't despair, there are still possibilities to enter it:

As unicode:
Press Ctrl-Shift-u followed by 01d2 and Space.

By creating your own compose mappings:
Create a file named ~/.XCompose by either copying one of
the /usr/share/X11/locale/*/Compose files or by editing it from scratch.
This way, you can create any mapping you want. You could also copy the
file from your Ubuntu 8.10 installation if you want it to be 100%
compatible.

[x] ulf
--
If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos... then you
probably haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation.