Recommendation -- iPod?

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 03:02:42 UTC 2009

> My personal recommendation is to check out Cowon mp3 players. I just got
> a Cowon S9 32GB mp3 player
> (http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/cowon/s9/), and I'm loving it so

My recent "ipod" bit the dust (headphone plug broke in the player) but
I found a good deal at Amazon, for an ipod touch like clone from Pro
Ebiz LLC. These guys are good for customer service, and so far,
overall, I like the player, even though there are some glitches
(sometimes it is difficult to find the albums, like they're not
indexed right, or the songs get put on the player out of order, but my
previous player did that as well, and it could be just the software
I'm using to transfer). It can play some video right out of the box,
but others require a tool to convert such as ffmpeg or transcode.

It's got a small, but decent sized screen - lots bigger in fact than
my previous player, and you get 16 gigs of space for $75. That to me
was a major selling point -- over here sometimes one can end up paying
that much for a "name brand" player with less than 4 gigs of storage
space. And, it mounts as a device in the filesystem, so no more mtp
like file transferring like my first player, which I got at 50% off a
couple of years ago but bit the dust too, and that player (Iriver T3)
had only a gig of available space.

And, even though undocumented, it'll play ogg vorbis format.

--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.