jaunty slow on laptop

Jayson Williams williams.jayson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 16:34:11 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Chris Jones<jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>> hello
>> maybe gnome make it runs slower,
>> try another window manager like fluxbox or lxde

I had gnome installed on my laptop for a while also. Things started
out well, but after a few months, I noticed a definite increase in the
amount of time it took to boot to the desktop. I ended up doing
exactly what you are thinking about doing. I ditched Gnome for
Fluxbox. Fluxbox boots lightning fast every time, without exception.
It takes a bit of tweaking to get it the way you want it, and there
are no fnacy compiz effects, but that suits me fine. I am a bit of a
minimalist. If you do try out fluxbox, have a look at gdesklets also.
Let us know how things turn out.