Access to Linux (ext3) & Windows (FAT32) partitions (from Ubuntu 9.04)

Jay Mistry jaylinux53 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 07:10:50 UTC 2009

> The following should set you up based on what you have

>        mkdir /media/Windows_P
>
> Edit fstab
>        gksu gedit /etc/fstab
>
> copy anyone of the window lines and change to mimic:
>
>        /dev/sda1 /media/Windows_P vfat defaults,locale=en_IN 0 0
>                ^                ^ ^^^^
>
> Please note the changes.  If you have r/w issues we can set umask later.
> But this should survive reboot.
>
> Your fedora will look similar:
>
>        /dev/sd[a-c][1-9] /media/fedora ext3 defaults 0 0
>                 ^    ^          ^^^^^^ ^^^^         ^
>
> Again note the changes.  I do not recall which drive and partition
> fedora was on but since it boots I would assume sdb4.  Change the mount
> point.  Change fs type to ext3.  I deleted the en reference.
>
> Hope this helps.
> --
> Fred R.
> www.fwrgallery.com

I made the directories (mount points) and then modified the fstab file as
suggested by you. Now all the other Linux (ext3) and Windows (VFAT and NTFS)
partitions are accessible (read-write) from the Ubuntu 9.04 OS.

The changed & working fstab is http://www.pastebin.ca/1526130 (for
reference).

Thanks,

Jay