dpkg: serious warning: file list file for package 'package' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed - can't install any packages

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Tue Aug 11 14:36:30 UTC 2009

Ryan Pugatch <rpug at tripadvisor.com> writes:

> Interesting issue.. my machine (thinkpad t61) has had an issue where the
> file system would randomly become read only.

That usually caused by a file system error.
Often things like that mean your disc is about to die.

> I think it has something to do with the machine going in to standby..
> it seems to happen shortly after waking up.  Anyway, usually after a
> few times of this happening I have to run fsck and then everything is
> back to normal.  Unfortunately, this time, it appears something was
> really hosed and there were a lot of unattached inodes when I ran
> fsck.  Everything seems fine, though, except for the part where I
> can't install anything with apt.  It seems that dpkg thinks that none
> of my packages are installed.
>
> See: http://paste.ubuntu.com/251393/

That looks quite bad. A lot of the *.list files in /var/lib/dpkg/info/
are missing so the package manager doesn't know anymore which files
belong to which package.

Most likely there are other files missing or damaged, too.

> Not really sure what to do at this point.  It would be nice to make it
> work again, otherwise I'll have to reload the machine which I'd like to
> avoid doing.

I'd reinstall the system, if possible on a new disc (replacing the disc
is quite simple on a Thinkpad).

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>