Wine

Tim Frost timfrost at xtra.co.nz
Tue Aug 11 07:29:30 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 22:43 -0500, mong0038 at umn.edu wrote:
> I'm trying to install wine on my computer but every time I try sudo apt-get
> install wine I get the same message:

>   wine: Depends: libasound2 (> 1.0.18) but 1.0.15-3ubuntu4 is to be
> installed
>         Depends: libc6 (>= 2.9) but 2.7-10ubuntu4 is to be installed

This error message indicates that the version of wine that you are
trying to install is from a newer version of Ubuntu (or debian) than the
system itself.  I note that you don't tell us what ubuntu version you
are using, or what repositories are enabled.

From the libc6 and libasound2 versions, I assume that you are running
hardy.  The version dependencies for libc6 and libasound2 suggest that
you are trying to install the version of wine for jaunty (or for the
latest version of debian) from the winehq repository.  Because wine
depends on a specific version of the core libraries (libc6), you must
use a wine package for the distribution that you are running.

There is a version of wine available for hardy, in universe (1.0.0 is in
hardy-updates/hardy-backports).  If you want version 1.1.27 from the
winehq repository, use the correct distribution name in the sources.list
entry (there are packaged versions of wine 1.1.27 for hardy, intrepid
and jaunty available from winehq).

> I have also tried sudo apt-get update but I still get the same message.
> Help!

Tim

--
Tim Frost <timfrost at xtra.co.nz>