JMicrovision

Fred Roller froller at tnclimited.com
Mon Aug 10 14:41:44 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 14:10 +0100, MARENBA wrote:
> I am trying to install JMicroVision in Ubuntu.
>
> I have downloaded the file from the JMicroVision page and extracted to
> a directory. I do not know how to get the # and then type chmod.
>
> But I have managed to go to the directory. I have tried using
> instruction related to tar, jar, but no success.
>
> If someone could me give a teachable hint I really would appreciate.

The only dumb question is the one never asked.  I am assuming you are
completely new to ubuntu/linux and are using Ubuntu 9.04 and have all
your updates.  I am pasting their instructions so that I can explain
them to you.

<JMV instruction>

Linux Instructions:

1. Right-click on the link and select "Save Target As..."
	--> I am assuming you got this far and know where it is (if you have
not changed your firefox preferences then it is on your Desktop and this
is where I am assuming it is.)

2. After downloading, extract the archive
	--> Double click the JMicrovision icon on your Desktop.  This will open
the Archive Manager.  Click extract and choose the default location
(should be on your desktop.)  Again, I assume you made it this far since
your OP was for the next step. ;)

3. Then, set the execute permissions to the directory: type chmod -R u+x
JMicroVision-v127-linux in a Terminal screen

	--> Open a terminal:
		Applications->Accesories->Terminal
	Then run their command (note: use the absolute path to the directory,
just to make sure you are in the right place.)[drum rolls fingers
waiting for virtual machine.:/]
	chmod -R u+x /home/[user]/Desktop/JMicroVision-v127-linux

	This should set the permissions for the directory.

Uninstall: Delete the directory of JMicroVision 1.2.7.
	rm -rf /home/[user]/Desktop/JMicroVision-v127-linux

Launch JMicroVision: In the directory of JMicroVision 1.2.7,
double-click JMVision or type ./JMVision in a Terminal screen. If the
launcher does not start, type ldd JMVision to show the dependencies with
the shared libraries and add to your system the missing packages.

	My 9.04 test system (vbox) is missing two dependencies:
		sudo apt-get install libpng3
	and
		libexpat.so.0 => not found
	does not appear to exist through normal channels (I am looking for so
if anyone knows...)

It is also possible to launch JMicroVision by using the Java command
(see Generic or Other Platforms Instructions).

Start the Configuration Wizard: In the directory of JMicroVision 1.2.7,
type ./JMVision -config in a Terminal screen.

	--> Just run their command from terminal from within the directory:

	first
		cd /home/[user]/Desktop/JMicroVision-v127-linux
	then
		./JMVision -config
</JMV instruction>

until I can get the test copy up this is as far as I can go.  Good luck.

--
Fred R.
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like Linux - simple; if you are fighting it, you are doing
something wrong."