Access to Linux (ext3) & Windows (FAT32) partitions (from Ubuntu 9.04)

Jay Mistry jaylinux53 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 11:22:29 UTC 2009

> You need a line for each partition, with the same information as is used
> to build the mount command:
>
> /dev/[fat32 partition] /mnt/[some dir] cifs defaults     0   0
> /dev/[ext3 partition] /mnt/[some dir] ext3 defaults  0   2
>
> You need the mount points ("/mnt/[some dir]" in the above examples) to
> exist, be unique(!), and to have sane permissions.  If the mount point
> doesn't exist, the mount operation will fail.  If the permissions are
> too restrictive, you will have problems accessing or updating files.
>
> The "0 0" and "0 2" influence whether (and the order of) file systems
> checks are done.  You probably don't want a check done of the vfat
> filesystem.
>
> If those file systems existed when you installed ubuntu, they may have
> been detected by the installer, in which case it may have created
> entries for them in /etc/fstab.

I will check out /etc/fstab and modify it as above if needed - all the
aforementioned partitions existed at the time of Ubuntu install, since that
was the last OS I installed (Windows XP, Fedora 10, Ubuntu 9.04; in that
order). So they should have been picked up by the installer (I chose the
custom partitioning layout as otherwise it would mean replacement of the
Fedora 10 installation).

>> Another problem is that the 'fdisk -l' command returns no result
>> (either as normal user or root user).
>>
> Odd.  Does it return a non-zero value to the shell? Check with the
> command sequence
>        fdisk -l;echo $?
>
> (I get a return value of 0, even after fdisk complains about /dev/md*
> not containing valid partition table, while reporting both physical
> disks, all the RAID metadevices, and detail of a USB key that is
> attached to the PC)

Here is what I get:

for:  fdisk -l;echo $?

jaymist at LinuxUbuntu:~$ fdisk -l;echo $?
> 0
> jaymist at LinuxUbuntu:~$

for: fdisk -l   (nil output)

jaymist at LinuxUbuntu:~$ fdisk -l
> jaymist at LinuxUbuntu:~$

AFAIK 'fdisk' should be part of the default bash shell commands. I alos
tried looking into the Package Manager for fdisk related packages &
installed them. But this also doesnt work.
(Pict of the packages w/ fdisk is here:
http://www.imagebam.com/image/6e9af244912194)

Thanks,

Jay