Access to Linux (ext3) & Windows (FAT32) partitions (from Ubuntu 9.04)

Jay Mistry jaylinux53 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 07:03:35 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Fred Roller<froller at tnclimited.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 09:54 +0530, Jay Mistry wrote:

>> On a new install of Ubuntu 9.04 on a home desktop PC, how can one
>> enable access to Windows XP (FAT32) and Fedora 10 (ext3) partitions
>> from within Ubuntu (using GNOME 2.26 desktop) ?
>
> for FAT32
> sudo mount -t cifs /dev/[fat32 partition] /mnt/[some dir]
>
> for ext3
> sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/[ext3 partition] /mnt/[some dir]

Will these cmds mount the file systems permanently (i.e. every time I
boot into Ubuntu) ?
Or should the /etc/fstab file be changed to reflect the added
partitions? If yes (for /etc/fstab), what needs to be added/modified
to /etc/fstab ?

Another problem is that the 'fdisk -l' command returns no result
(either as normal user or root user).

> This should mount the partition.  My assumptions are that you are
> familiar with your way around the cli.  If you need these instructions
> cleared up let me know.

Yes, am familiar with basic CLI cmds.

> Fred R.
> www.fwrgallery.com
>
> "Life is like Linux - simple; if you are fighting it, you are doing
> something wrong."

Thanks,

Jay