Video Card for 75 foot cable run

Mark C. Miller mr.mcmiller at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 22:55:56 UTC 2009

I'm a high school [U.S.] English teacher who received a ceiling-mounted
video projector for my classroom over the summer.  The cable run from my
desktop to the video projector is about 50 feet [15.24 meters]. Last
year, I used a cart-mounted projector and a 100 foot [30 meters] long vga
cable (Didn't need that much but it was the next size up from the 10
footers the school had).  My old Gateway laptop would not "drive" the
video projector.  When I connected to the cable to the desktop (a Dell),
I had no problems.

Due to the way they installed the thing, I will have to run a vga cable
across my desk to get to the connectors for the video projector.  I'd
like to avoid that.

My question is, how or what do I take into account on a video card to
determine ahead of time that it has the needed capacity?  I thought of a
new Netbook, but I'm just assuming that the video card will be
insufficient.

I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 (Shh.  Don't tell the school; they think I'm
using Windows).  I won't have access to my school computer for a couple
more days, so I can't tell you what the video card I've been using is.
It is "builtin" -- if that is the term -- to the motherboard.

Thanks in advance your help.

mcm

--
Mark C. Miller