Strange Error - No Pubkey

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 15:52:35 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 6:49 AM, Allen Prunty<allen at alprunty.com> wrote:

> I have never got this one before...
>
> W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net jaunty Release: The following
> signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available:
> NO_PUBKEY EF4186FE247510BE

In general, import the key thusly:

$ gpg --keyserver <keyserver> --recv-keys <KEY>

then add the key you got to the apt keyring:

$ gpg --export --armor <KEY> | sudo apt-key add -

Specifically:

I had to look at the forums on this one. For that particular key,
which when imported, identifies itself as the Mozilla Daily Builds
signing key, I had to play a bit to get the procedure to work. What I
ended up with was:

$ gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys EF4186FE247510BE

$ gpg --export --armor EF4186FE247510BE >key.asc

$ cat key.asc | sudo apt-key add -

Yes, I should have been able to combine steps 2 and 3 into one step
(useless use of cat(1)) but for some reason, doing it in one setp hung
my shell. Also, using the http://keyserver.ubuntu.com url hung my
shell.

One thing, that key's expiration date (as shown in gpg --list-keys)
has expired (2009-02-05), You probably should point your apt sources
list to a better specific location if you really want to be getting
the daily builds for Mozilla, and get (if one is available) a more up
to date key.

If not, the ppa package maintainer should be informed.

--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.