How do you change the default opening application?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 7 02:29:17 UTC 2009

On 08/06/2009 12:10 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Tony Baldwin wrote:

>>> To change the default app when a filetype/mimetype doesn't exist. When
>>> the system has no idea what the file is.
>>>

>> Do YOU know what kind of file it is?
>> Without that little tidbit, we can't tell you what application to use to
>> open it.
>> What is the file extension?
>
> .chm - he did tell us that.
>
> I know how to do this in KDE, but not Gnome.

Well he still hasn't gotten past:

<quote>
I want to open the
file with my application of choice. How do I change this application?

The problem I have at the moment is that, somehow, the .chm reader
application that I have installed has become the "fall back"
application, which is not a good thing.
</quote>

He was given instructions for how to set the default, given information
on how to add an unknown mime type. Yet he still hasn't provided
information on 'reader'. So I'll take a stab at 'guessing':

- his email domain is linked to this:
http://www.auxbuss.com/
- the filetype is .chm which is this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Compiled_HTML_Help
- a reader for .chm files (on Gnome) is:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/gnochm

I installed gnochm, right clicked a .chm file, followed the instructions
previously given (Properties|Open With) and gnochm popped right in as a
possible viewer. Selected that 'CHM Viewer' and opened the .chm file
without issues. I've always been curious on how to do this on Windows...
come to find out that linux has an excellent application to do this :-)

@marc: so are we close? Or do you think that you might be inclined to
provide more details so that others don't have to keep guessing at what
you are trying to accomplish?