wi-fi security?

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Thu Aug 6 23:47:19 UTC 2009

Odd wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> As I understand it, it should take _days_ to crack WPA/PSK, as
>> opposed to well under an hour for WEP.
>
> WEP can be cracked in minutes. WPA/PSK with a good passphrase
> can't be cracked in days, let alone years.

I haven't tried it - and I'm entirely prepared to accept that it's only
susceptible to dictionary attacks on weak keys - but ~1 week seems to be a
pretty commonly used number in the articles I've read.

The fact is, if you're prepared to change keys regularly, there will always
come a point at which it's irrelevant whether a key is susceptible to
cracking, because it can't be done before you change the key.  One week
wouldn't be long enough for a WPA/PSK key, because nobody's changing them
weekly, but it should be plenty long enough for system's using a Radius
server.
--
derek