How do you change the default opening application?

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Thu Aug 6 18:41:32 UTC 2009

Fred Roller wrote:

> Marc, did you look look at the "defaults.list" that I posted about
> earlier? (tends to be in different locations depending on distro so run
> "locate")
>
> 	locate defaults.list
>
> froller at metis:~$ locate defaults.list
> /etc/gnome/defaults.list
> /usr/share/applications/defaults.list
>

> excerpt:
>
> [Default Applications]
> application/csv=openoffice.org-calc.desktop
> application/excel=openoffice.org-calc.desktop
> application/msexcel=openoffice.org-calc.desktop
> application/msword=openoffice.org-writer.desktop
> application/ogg=totem.desktop
> application/postscript=evince.desktop
> application/rtf=openoffice.org-writer.desktop
> application/tab-separated-values=openoffice.org-calc.desktop
>
> Make your association and if necessary a custom *.desktop file.

Hi Fred,

Yes, briefly yesterday... and forgot about it today -- I've been trying
to help the pida guys on irc fix a bug. Looks like it's spurred them
into action! Will delve into this deeper tomorrow -- it's evening here
now.

What I couldn't find in the files you mention was the app that has been
"randomly" assigned by gnome as the default, so I didn't go further
initially.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

--
Best,