missing programs, books for beginners?

Dan Farrell dan at spore.ath.cx
Thu Aug 6 17:57:25 UTC 2009

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 18:16:31 -0400
Tony Baldwin <photodharma at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dan Farrell wrote:

> > Ubuntu departs from the UNIX world in many ways; one of them is to
> > make lots of stuff graphical.  If you want to hang out in command
> > line world, may I recommend you use bash as your shell rather than
> > that hideous default, whatever it is, in ubuntu?  Just type 'bash'
> > after you bring up a cli shell.
>
> What?
> Bash isn't the default terminal in ubuntu?
> It is on my laptops (one w/ jaunty other with hardy).
>
> /tony

I dunno, in 8.04 all my terminals seem to be running sh or busybox or
something.  I don't get any nice bash features unless I run it
explicitly.  I'd be reinvestigating if I hadn't fragged the system
trying to update to 8.10 ( X no longer functions).  Argh, all this
managed updating and configuration is confusing to a DIY-er.

Anyhow, it's a moot point.  Thanks for correcting.