wi-fi security?

Odd iodine at runbox.no
Thu Aug 6 15:30:12 UTC 2009

Brian wrote:
> On Thu 06 Aug 2009 at 10:53:05 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>>                                      but the basic security on the transport
>> should be WPA (which is crackable, too, but considerably harder than WEP).
>
> This is not the first time I have seen a reference to WPA being crackable but
> I've yet to see techniques (as one gets with WEP) detailing how it is achieved.
> Does 'considerably harder' involve a time frame of tens of thousands of years
> when a strong passphrase is used?

There are two versions of WPA. One uses the same encryption as
WEP, the other uses AES encryption. I've not heard that the former
has been broken through other means than regular dictionary attacks
against a weak passphrase. But it wouldn't surprise me if there is a
loophole to be found. So I suggest anyone who is concerned about
their wireless network security use AES encryption. That's the best
defense right now, and it's practically uncrackable* as far as security
experts know. It has been well tested. Use a strong pass-phrase,
with special chars and nothing that can be found in a dictionary, and
you should be safe from any brute-force attacks.

* At least until we get functional quantum computers.

--
Odd