nvidia graphics drivers / dual monitors question

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Thu Aug 6 13:51:14 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 19:50 +1000, samuel_b at dodo.com.au wrote:
[snip]

> yes i've had envyng installed for a few weeks. no twinview available
> to my graphics cards(shaded out). and when i tick xenorama (whatever
> its called). my system goes into a mental state on booting. flashes
> each screen, crashes, tries the other.. round and round we go.. i've
> read all on the net. just given up. I did read though the 173 driver
> did work as i said already.. but it wouldnt work for me.. Fedora
> maybe the way.

what version of ubuntu do you have installed? that might be helpful at
some point...

I've only ever done dual-monitor setups with twin-head cards...I've
never had to deal with a situation of using multiple graphics cards, and
I don't have any to experiment with, so unfortunately I can't verify or
deny what's happening to you. however, I have to ask... why bother doing
it this way at all? If you have a reasonably modern graphics card, it
will have dual monitor ports on it. If the issue is a DVI/VGA thing,
then there's still the adapters, which are dirt cheap:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812267001

> I dont mean to be rude.. to those who replied.. just
> thought someone might know the answer. seeing i know all mentioned so
> far..

You know more about your situation than the people here do. They're
trying to establish a baseline so that somebody can eventually help.
That's a side effect of not supplying full information in your first
post (i.e. missing essentials such as your Ubuntu version, video
drivers, details such as those you put below... these NEED to be in the
first post to get the fastest, most effective help)

> PS: gnome display.. says unknown monitor and doesn't even find the
> second monitor. both my cards a nvidia.. one is a 7050 onboard and
> other is 9600gt

can't think of anything else right now... I'll check back later.

--
Andrew