error in booting

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Thu Aug 6 03:57:11 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-08-01 at 22:34 +0530, kiran g wrote:
> hello ubuntu people
>
> iam kiran from  hyderabad india.
> i m getting a problem when ubuntu 7.10 is booting and it shows an
> error dev/sdb error, please let me know how to solve this problem. one
> more thing is i would like to upgrade to ubuntu 9.04 and right now iam
> downloading that version. if i installed this version will that
> problem resolve?
>
> thank you ,
> kiran.

re-installing with the newest version of Ubuntu may or may not fix your
issue... just make sure that if you do decide to go that route that you
can NOT upgrade directly from 7.10 to 9.04... you will have to do a
fresh install, or upgrade along the path: 7.10 > 8.04 > 8.10 > 9.04.
(just my opinion, but since your version is so old, I think a fresh
install might be faster)

on to the actual issue... What exact error are you receiving
concerning /dev/sdb? Is your computer actually making it through the
boot process, or is it stopping at some point?

If the error is just one you happen to notice while booting up, it may
simply be an error with automounting or something...however, there's no
way to tell for sure until you supply more info.

best of luck

--
Andrew