I've just Dist-Upgrade to kernel 2.6.28-14.How to get rid of previous kernels?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 6 01:57:07 UTC 2009

On 08/05/2009 05:29 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Bill Marcum wrote:

>>> Which is a much better way of doing it than to rely on a CLI command
>>> that you have no idea what it does!
>>
>> Of course, if you prefer to use the cli, you can also use aptitude in
>> interactive mode.
>
> In any case, I completely disagree with "much better way of doing it".  How
> exactly does using a GUI magically make it clear what you've done?
>
> # sudo aptitude purge ~i2.6.28-12
>
> would, for instance, remove everything related to the 2.6.28-12 kernel
> (including source and headers).  Simpler _and_ more obvious than using
> synaptic, where you would likely remove the kernel _image_ and miss the
> headers.

Interesting... two points:

1. If you are # (root) you won't need 'sudo'.

2. That comand doesn't work for me - does it for you?:

$ sudo apt-get purge ~i2.6.28-11
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package ~i2.6.28-11

$ apt-cache policy linux-headers-2.6.28-11
linux-headers-2.6.28-11:
  Installed: 2.6.28-11.42
  Candidate: 2.6.28-11.42
  Version table:
 *** 2.6.28-11.42 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

$ apt-cache policy linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic
linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic:
  Installed: 2.6.28-11.42
  Candidate: 2.6.28-11.42
  Version table:
 *** 2.6.28-11.42 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

$ apt-cache policy linux-image-2.6.28-11-generic
linux-image-2.6.28-11-generic: