text editing in ubuntu

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 5 22:50:45 UTC 2009

On 08/04/2009 06:33 PM, steve wrote:

> i thought i'd uninstall evolution but when i tried it synaptic said it would
> need to uninstall ubuntu netbook remix too! i now realize that this means
> i'd lose the ability to click on configuration dialogs in order to access
> those parts of those dialog which would be off-screen on a 1024x600 display.

As Florian Diesch (waves at Florian) so kindly reminded me on
alt.os.linux.ubuntu; *don't* uninstall/remove evolution-data-server-common.

However, unless you are limited for disc space, I'd just recommend
leaving Evolution in place and removing the panel & menu
icons/references instead.

evolution-plugins 602kB
evolution-exchange 3543kB
evolution-indicator 119kB
evolution 6578kB

You should first *test* on your system by using the 'simulation' mode
('-s') as there may be something in netbook remix that is different than
the standard 9.04 Gnome install:

$ sudo apt-get remove -s evolution
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  evolution evolution-exchange evolution-indicator evolution-plugins
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 4 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Remv evolution-plugins [2.26.1-0ubuntu2]
Remv evolution-exchange [2.26.0-0ubuntu3]
Remv evolution-indicator [0.1.13-0ubuntu1]
Remv evolution [2.26.1-0ubuntu2]

I just tested the last on a fresh, fully updated 9.04 system ('sudo
apt-get remove evolution' without the -s simulation) & it freed a whole
10.8MB of disk space. Worked with no issues. I gained more disk space by
just removing some old linux-headers (2.6.28-11) - that freed up 74.7MB...

Note: if you do remove & decide you want evolution back, just reinstall:

$ sudo apt-get install evolution evolution-plugins evolution-exchange
evolution-indicator