4GB RAM slows down ubuntu

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Wed Aug 5 18:32:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 10:17 +0200, femi71 at web.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yesterday i installed kubuntu in order to get rid of a silly problem: When i add 1GB RAM (3x 1GB are already inserted), Suse 10.1 got
> very very slow. Booting Windows or Knoppix makes no problem with 4GB. Now after installing kubuntu with kernel 2.6.24-24-generic the
> problem is the same: 3GB are ok, 4GB slow down the system dramatically (2, 3 times slower). At a certain point during booting, the
> moving bar stucks. Where can i search for the problem?

which version of ubuntu are you using? i know you said 32 bit, but what
release? I ask because only because thats an older kernel...

However, I'm currently running Ubuntu 9.04, 32 bit, w/ 4GB RAM (no PXE)
and no slowdown issues.

> It is a ASUS P4P800 SE Mainboard.
> RAM is said to be supported,
> the BIOS recognises it (it says 3,7GB but this is documented in the manual), even in dual channel mode.
> RAM is ok and all 1GB bar fit together. (memtest gives no errors.)

what do you mean all 1GB bars fit together? also, did you test all the
RAM at once? if you did, you might want to try pulling all but 1 out,
and testing them one at a time.  sometimes, memory errors will not show
up in the tests when testing several RAM sticks at once.

Also, are all the RAM sticks the same speed/model/brand? sometimes,
mixing and matching RAM of different types/brands can have odd effects
on the system...

Just my thoughts

--
Andrew