Software Installation Pains

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Wed Aug 5 11:50:30 UTC 2009

Edwin McGuire wrote:
> New to Ubuntu, Last Linux distro I had was Mandrake 7.1
> anyways still learning.
> here's my problem.
>
> I'm running Ubuntu 9.04
> Downloaded some files (Gparted,VirtualBox,Wine,WVDial,Debconf.) from the Web at the library, so far none will install.
> Location of files=
> /media/DAD'S THUMB/Linux/Wine/wine-dbg_1.1.26~winehq1-1_i386.deb
> If I Click on a file then package installer window opens then status says

First off, you shouldn't need to install packages manually.  Use apt-get
install <packagename> to install them.  It's much easier to manage
dependencies.  (And if you are a old Mandrake user it's the same type of
package management as RPM uses, just a different program name instead of
yum. (Or cooker in Madriva?  It's been a while for me.)

--
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415