Packages differences between Ubuntu versions (i.e.: Hardy Heron versus Jaunty Jackalope)

Oli D vhann3000 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 15:52:11 UTC 2009

> You shouldn't skip versions.
> First upgrade from Hardy Heron (8.04 LTS) to Intrepid Ibex (8.10), then
> upgrade to Jaunty Jackalope (9.04).
>
> You can only skip versions if you are upgrading from LTS to LTS.
> The only supported direct upgrade paths are:
> 6.06 LTS -> 8.04 LTS
> 8.04 LTS -> 10.04 LTS
> 10.04 LTS -> 12.04 LTS

Thank you for the information, but I only used Hardy and Jaunty as
example (I'll do the correct upgrading).

I'd still like to know if anybody knows if there may be any problem
with echo 'package hold' | sudo dpkg --set-selections' a package and
then dist-upgrading?

P.S.: I hope this message gets added in the correct thread (I didn't
know I wasn't supposed to reply to digest).

Regards,
Vhann