Best Application For Copying VHS Tapes To DVD?

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Mon Aug 3 07:39:56 UTC 2009

On 08/01/2009 06:09 AM, Graham Todd wrote:
> Have any list members got a recommendation as to which application to
> use to copy VHS tapes to DVD?
>
> The proposed set up is as follows:
>
> 1. As I'm in the UK, the VHS tapes would be PAL (I don't know if this
> makes any difference)

Any of the software of interest will be have a setting for either PAL or
NTSC

> 2. The output stream from the VHS player is connected to the "arial
> out" connector to the arial socket on the television card. There is no
> scart connector on the TV card; the only common connection is the arial
> connector.

I assume you mean that the card in your computer has an input for coax
cable like your tv does?  Does the card work?  Are you able to use it
for anything else?

Assuming you have a working card, you might look at xawtv motv or
streamer.  All are in the repositories.

Sorry I can't guide you on usage, I use a plextor external device which
has "in hardware" mpeg encoding, and requires screwy driver and recorder.

Here is a link to a fairly succinct description of one guy's setup with
some useful links:
http://infohost.nmt.edu/~kscott/video/

but his xawtv link does not work,  Try this instead:
http://linux.bytesex.org/xawtv/

The other possibility would be mythtv, but I think that would be
cracking the walnut with a sledgehammer if you know what I mean.

Someone else might have more guidance if you can tell us what card you
have installed.