.gvfs and why does this happen?

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 12:42:23 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Jay Ridgley<jridgley2 at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> I have a situation that I do not understand. I am connected to a remote
> system via ssh. When I try to list the directory /home/user/.gvfs the
> results are not consistent. See below:
>
> cdjsys at ursa:~$ ls -la .gvfs
> total 8
> drwx------  2 cdjsys cdjsys 4096 2008-06-07 07:08 .
> drwxr-xr-x 36 cdjsys cdjsys 4096 2009-07-29 10:22 ..
> cdjsys at ursa:~$ ls -la /home/celeste/.gvfs
> ls: cannot access /home/celeste/.gvfs: Permission denied
> cdjsys at ursa:~$ sudo ls -la /home/celeste/.gvfs
> [sudo] password for cdjsys:
> ls: cannot access /home/celeste/.gvfs: Permission denied <---- error
> cdjsys at ursa:~$ su celeste
> Password:
> celeste at ursa:/home/cdjsys$ ls -la /home/celeste/.gvfs
> total 4
> dr-x------  2 celeste celeste    0 2009-07-29 10:24 .
> drwxr-xr-x 38 celeste celeste 4096 2009-07-29 10:24 ..
> celeste at ursa:/home/cdjsys$  exit
> exit
> cdjsys at ursa:~$
>
> Yet If I am physically logged on to the machine (not via ssh) the error
> message is not issued. This is causing problems with a network backup
> scheme I am attempting to implement.

.gvfs is where Gnome mounts remote directories accessed over the
network.  When there are contents there, they aren't part of that
machine.  I don't think you would usually want to back up that
directory....

Brian
--
All you need to know about Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty -> gconftool -s --type
bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false