Logitech: We don't have any mouse that works with Ubuntu

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 22:47:19 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have never come across a mouse that would not work in linux.  Some
>> of the multi-button variety sometimes have strange button assignments
>> by default, but in the past 10 years I can't recall plugging in a
>> mouse that did not work.  Well, ones that were not physically broken,
>> that is :)
>>

> It doesn't matter if the mouse works or not. It matters that the sales
> rep told me not to buy it because it wouldn't work. When logitech
> wants to sell me a mouse, they'll check if it works on my OS or not.
> Even Microsoft, who sells a competing OS, was able to check.

And if after putting a penguin on the box, the mouse then costs $75 or
$80?  No thanks.  And in the case of a mouse, we're not talking about
a huge leap of faith here.

I guess what I'm saying is that while I appreciate the efforts of
those who poke hardware vendors to support linux, in the case of
meese/keyboards it might be counter-productive.

And the MS rep might tell you to buy it even if you were running a C64 ;)

Just my 2¢.
Chris