graphics card configuration.

Wybo Dekker wybo at servalys.nl
Thu Apr 30 17:53:32 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Wybo Dekker wrote:
>
>> (just moved from SuSE-11.0  to Unbuntu 9.04)
>>
>> My card is an integrated Intel 865G, my monitor a Medion MD7212AZ
>> After sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg I get a minimal xorg.conf:
>>
>> Section "Device"
>>          Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "Monitor"
>>          Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "Screen"
>>          Identifier      "Default Screen"
>>          Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
>>          Device          "Configured Video Device"
>> EndSection
>>
>> So I suppose my hardware is'nt recognized,
>
> It doesn't say that at all.  That should be more than you actually need.

well, as said, I'm new to ubuntu/debian and saw an xorg.conf with little
in it. But it seems things have changed with respect to my previous
distro, SuSE-11.0

>> and it is quite slow indeed.
>> I tried to replace xorg.conf with SuSE-11.0's version, but that did not
>> help.
>> Is there a tool to help with the configuration?
>
> What exactly is your problem?

It began with googleearth telling me that:

You are currently running Google Earth in 'OpenGL' with software
emulation. In this mode, Google Earth will work, but it will run very
slowly...

And then I realized that X is indeed slower than it was under SuSE-11.0.
As regards my last question: Is there a tool to help with the
configuration? -  I had the SaX-tool in SuSE-11.0, what is the
ubuntu-tool for it - or does it not exist?

--
Wybo