$sudo aptitude update

Roy Smith rasmith1959 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 13:05:40 UTC 2009

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Roy Smith wrote:
>> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>>
>>>   I went to man aptitude and quick I found this:
>>>
>>> update
>>> Updates the list of available packages from the apt sources (this
>>> is equivalent to “apt-get update”)
>>>
>>> So then I did a apt-get update and got:
>>>
>>> Get:12 http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/multiverse Packages
>>> [11.9kB]
>>> Get:13 http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/multiverse Sources [1105B]
>>> Fetched 361kB in 15s (23.3kB/s)
>>> W: GPG error: http://dl.google.com stable Release: The following
>>> signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available:
>>> NO_PUBKEY A040830F7FAC5991
>>> W: Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386
>>> (20080423)]/dists/hardy/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use
>>> apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot
>>> be used to add new CD-ROMs
>>>
>>> W: Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386
>>> (20080423)]/dists/hardy/restricted/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use
>>> apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot
>>> be used to add new CD-ROMs
>>>
>>> E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
>>> ones used instead.
>>>

>>> Notice it says it "Failed to fetch cdrom". This means the apt sources,
>>> not my computer.
>>>

>> Well was your Ubuntu 8.04 CD in your CD-ROM drive?  If not, then
>> naturally it's not going to find it.  So humor me on this one and put
>> your Ubuntu CD in the drive and try it again.  If the error goes away,
>> then you need to edit your /etc/apt/sources.list and either comment out
>> or remove the references to the CD.  Also you need to go here
>> http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/aboutkey.html and download the
>> signing key and import it to take care of the other error you have
>> failed to mention in this posting.
>>

>     Thank you! I found an odd reference to the cd-rom in
> /etc/apt/sources.list and I commented it out. This corrected that error.
>
>     The went to the google page and used the wget bash file and used it
> to fix the google PGP problem.
>
>     Now when I use $sudo aptitude update I get a clean print with zero
> errors. But there is another odd error keeping Updatemanager from working.
>
>         A panel is shown that is titled An error occured and details says:
>
> E: ERROR: could not create configuration directory /home/ben/.synaptic -
> mkdir
> (2 No such file or directory)
>
>         The error might be due to the fact there is no user known as
> ben. The only user is karl.
>
>     So I wonder where it gets a user ben?

Post your /etc/apt/sources.list so we all can take a look at it and
figure out where the problem may be.  You know it doesn't hurt to have a
fresh set of eyes to look at something.  Once when I was in school for
computer programming, I had to write a COBOL program and I kept getting
an error when I tried to compile the source code.  Spent a couple of
hours looking for the error, but then I showed it to someone else and
they found the error in less than a minute.  Made me feel like an idiot
for not seeing it originally...

--

Roy Smith
Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope