lpr: printer: unknown printer

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 07:05:29 UTC 2009

I have configured a printer with the name "printer" in KDE's System
Settings. I have also configured the exact same printer in the CUPS
web interface with the name "dir-320". Some applications, such as
Firefox, can print with no problems. However, I cannot print from the
cli:

$ lpr -P dir-320 /tmp/weeklyCalendarPrintMe.pdf
lpr: dir-320: unknown printer
$ lpr -P printer /tmp/weeklyCalendarPrintMe.pdf
lpr: printer: unknown printer
$

Why should Firefox see the printers, but lpr does not? Does Firefox
not use lpr internally anyway? The printer names are copy-paste from
the CUPS web interface, so they are not typos.

Karl: please don't write to say that it works for you. I know that it does.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il