Svn & Trac: user requires R&W permissions to trac/repos/db/trac.db

Faizan Kazi faizan.s.kazi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 04:57:34 UTC 2009

Hi guys!
I'm using this guide to set up an svn+ssh, and trac server:
http://www.subversionary.org/howto/setting-up-a-subversion-server-on-ubuntu-gutsy-gibbon-server

after doing the:
sudo trac-admin /var/www/trac/repos initenv

it says that I can test the server by doing:
tracd --port 8000 /var/www/trac/repos

so I follow the rest of the instructions from the web page, and then
right at the end I run the above command to test the configuration,
and when I go to:
http://localhost:8000/repos

I get this error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/trac/web/api.py", line 339,
in send_error
    'text/html')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/trac/web/chrome.py", line
684, in render_template
    data = self.populate_data(req, data)
{and lots more of this stuff and finally:}
TracError: The user faizan requires read _and_ write permission to the
database file /var/www/trac/repos/db/trac.db and the directory it is
located in.

How would I fix this?

the tutorial said to run:
cd /var/www
sudo chown -R www-data.svn trac

so if www-data.svn is supposed to own the entire trac directory and
its sub directories, and I'm a member of the SVN group (tickmarked
myself for group SVN, using the Users & Groups application in Gnome)
then why do I not have permissions? :s

Thanks!
Regards,
~fez