8.04 update files

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 30 02:05:09 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 4/29/09, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: 8.04 update files
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Wednesday, April 29, 2009, 7:34 PM
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> >
> > --- On Wed, 4/29/09, Karl F. Larsen
> <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> From: Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com>
> >> Subject: 8.04 update files
> >> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for
> general discussions"
> <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> >> Date: Wednesday, April 29, 2009, 1:14 PM
> >> I have been using the GUI update software with
> 8.04 for some
> >> long
> >> time. But in recent times the GUI does not work
> but using
> >> sudo aptitude
> >> upgrade has worked just fine. It seems to work in
> spite of
> >> the problems.
> >> Below is some of sudo aptitude update that shows
> me the
> >> Ubuntu file
> >> setup is at fault. Here it is:
> >>
> >>  W: GPG error: http://dl.google.com stable
> Release: The
> >> following
> >> signatures couldn't be verified because the
> public key
> >> is not available:
> >> NO_PUBKEY A040830F7FAC5991
> >> W: Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy
> Heron_ -
> >> Release i386
> >>
> (20080423)]/dists/hardy/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
> >> Please use
> >> apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT.
> apt-get
> >> update cannot
> >> be used to add new CD-ROMs
> >>
> >> W: Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy
> Heron_ -
> >> Release i386
> >>
> (20080423)]/dists/hardy/restricted/binary-i386/Packages.gz
> >> Please use
> >> apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT.
> apt-get
> >> update cannot
> >> be used to add new CD-ROMs
> >>
> >> E: Some index files failed to download, they have
> been
> >> ignored, or old
> >> ones used instead.
> >>
> >> The call for a CD-ROM is very strange.
> >>

> > Karl, either remove the CD-ROM entrie(s) from your
> sources.list file or from your software sources file so Apt
> will quit looking for it.  That is not strange and you
> should know that.
> > See if you can find the Public gpg key on
> http://dl.google.com and install it.  Then you error
> messages shoud go away.  You might get better help if you
> told the list just what gui software you are using to
> update/upgrade with as there are several.
> > HTH.
> > Leonard Chatagnier
> > lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
> >

>     Sorry you can't read English! This CD-ROM stuff is
> [...]
Did you even look at your sources.list file to see if it had an active CD-ROM entry?  Did you try to install the google gpg key?
One of us needs to learn something!  Please note that aptitude or apt-get reads the mirrors listing from the sources.list file including any CD-ROM entry.  You must have an active CD-ROM entry in your sources.list file. Check and see for yourself.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net